It hit me the other day…. Summer is just about over (whatever that means to us here in LA) and I’m coming up on 5 months of “fun employment” after my layoff. WHOA. How is time going so fast? We’ve had a lot going on this summer between traveling, friends coming into town, weekends away, my 30th birthday blowout, etc, but seriously, how is it already September? I feel like I blinked in June, and here we are.
It also hit me the other day that I’m still trying to figure out what exactly WTF I’m doing with my life, etc. How has 5 months gone by and I still don’t have a “real” job? How is Worship Worthy not at the point I expected to be at in my head? What have I been doing? Eeeek! Scary feeling, you guys! Also, that “OMG I’m 30” landed on top of me, all at once. Shits getting real.
Summer is over and it’s time to figure things out.
Rob looked at me the other day and asked me “What are you excited about right now in your life?”. He was referring to my life, career wise, mainly. I sat there for a minute, racking my brain trying to come up with something, and… nothing. I mean, my life is GREAT, don’t get me wrong, but since losing my corporate job and entering 100% in entrepreneur world, I’ve been a little down. When he asked me that, tears just started rolling. I couldn’t help it.
(Side note: cheers to the partners who know what you’re going through without you saying a word. Rob always knows when I’m struggling internally and I’m silent.)
I’m still getting used to not going into an office everyday and have a structure of what I’m doing from 9-5 and day to day. It’s been more difficult than I imagined to wake up every day and have to self motivate, self start and figure out how to structure my business and my blog.
When I was at bebe, I was a buyer. That was my job and I was good at it. I had spent years working on just that. I had MY responsibilities, and other people handled all the other things I wasn’t trained in or good at. Things like marketing, and advertising, finances… the things I know NOTHING about. Like, nada. Zip. (Insert wide eyed emoji here). But as my own boss, I have to work hard to learn all of those other things I’m NOT good at. I have to be the marketer, the advertiser, the shipping manager, the financial planner. And it’s really hard to get motivated to do those things, when you suck at them (at least for me).
Honestly, it’s easier to wake up and want to do everything but work. I’ll do the dishes, do a few loads on laundry, clean the entire house, have a 15th cup of coffee, go to lunch with Rob, start happy hour at 3pm… stuff like that. Ya know?
On the other hand, I’m still riding the high of being free from such a toxic environment and feeling super blessed to wake up every day and be able to choose my own adventure. I just need to find a structure to this new entrprenuer adventure and get my ass motivated to make MY dreams come true. Afterall, that’s why I was so miserable at my corporate job, right? (Well, partly).
Feeling very flip floppy these days, if you can’t tell by this blog post.
I’M ALL OVER THE PLACE. And I’m accepting that as part of the journey. It’s OK to not know WTF you’re doing.
So, given my crazy state of mind these days, I’ve been trying really hard to try and get f*cking motivated and wanted to share a few tips in case you’re also in this same boat!
- Wake up and set goals for the day. What are the main things that need to get accomplished today? Then list them in order of importance. Chip away one at a time. Seems obvious, but it’s not always easy to remember the obvious things sometimes. Also, I love a good handwritten LIST!
- Turn off distractions. Put the phone away, turn off the TV, and sit yourself down at your desk or a place where you can focus. I can’t tell you the amount of times I’m supposed to be working and I get caught scrolling down the Instagram rabbit hole. Anyone else? PUT IT AWAY. For an hour, for two hours, until you finish your list, whatever it takes.
- Get your fitness on. Never thought I’d be the one to say this, but starting your day with a workout is so amazing for getting your energy up and getting into a positive and motivated mindset for the day. Even a little stretching, a walk around the block. Get the blood pumping. The days I start at Platefit, I feel amazingggggg and actually accomplish more. For real.
- Ask for help. Oh god, I’m the worst at this one, because I like to think I can do everything myself (super stubborn if you haven’t figured that out yet), but we aren’t good at everything. It’s just not realistic to be a super star at all times. So admit the things that you’re not so stellar at, and ask someone else to help you with it. You hate marketing? Call up that friend of yours that’s a digital marketing specialist and pick their brain. People like to help others, and they like to talk about things they’re an expert on. Stay in your lane and let others in when you need them. (And I need to credit Rob for this one- he’s great at reminding me that I’m not good at marketing, but HE IS! If I just ask for his help, he’s there for me.) Let the ego take a backseat for a minute.
- Take a step back and celebrate your victories. It’s easy to get down when it feels like nothing is “going right”, in turn making us less motivated. Right? Well it often helps to take a step back and acknowledge your successes, big or small. Giving yourself a well deserved pat on the back sometimes helps get the momentum going. Rob challenged me on this the other night when I was feeling like a big loser, and the list of successes was longer than I thought when I allowed myself to take a step back.
Now that we’ve covered all of that, let’s chat about this outfit for a second! Because like always, I’m still all about fashion.
Can we all agree that any outfit that works in sneakers is the BEST? Comfort over pretty much anything… am I right?
Top- Bebe stores (older)
Denim shorts- H&M (older)
Shoes- H&M (here)
Earrings- Worship Worthy (here)
Bag- Rebecca Minkoff (here)
Shop alternative styles below! (Some goodies on SALE, friends!)